Postdocs in NUIN
Postdoctoral fellows are an integral component of the neuroscience research enterprise at Northwestern, and many postdocs help train NUIN students and serve as valued mentors. All postocs are encouraged to be on the NUIN Postdoc listserv as well as the general NUIN listserv. If you want to be added to either of these, please contact Chernise Bailey-Turner: email@example.com.
The NUIN Postdoctoral Affairs Committee (NPAC)
The NUIN Postdoctoral Affairs Committee, made up of both faculty and postdocs was formed at the start of 2013 to provide a group that can advocate for the needs and concerns of NUIN postdocs, while meeting several goals:
- Provide unique opportunities for career development
- Facilitate an open relationship of communication and mentoring among graduate students, postdocs, and faculty in order to build a stronger Neuroscience Community.
Together we have begun to address these needs. So far the NUIN postdoctoral affairs committee has hosted three “Going on the Job Market Q&A series”, allowing postdocs and graduate students to get advice from faculty and staff within NUIN and beyond on how to navigate the job market. Topics specifically addressed included: 1) How to get an offer: what to know before you apply, 2) How to get an interview: Creating a standout application, 3) How to get an offer: Job talk types, structures, and content, 4) How to get an offer: game day do’s and don’ts, 5) How to solidify the positions: Negotiating/Taking the Offer, and 6) Acquiring positions outside of academia. In addition, we have hosted a panel for graduate students on how to choose a postdoctoral position. Behind the scenes we have worked hard to make postdocs a larger part of the neuroscience community by expanding the NUIN postdoc listserv to allow for better communication of social and professional development opportunities, increasing postdoctoral events at the yearly NUIN retreat, and featuring postdoctoral presence and contributions on the NUIN website.
Current Committee Members:
- We are actively seeking interested postdocs to join this committee! Please contact committee chair, Dr. Yevgenia Kozorovitskiy <firstname.lastname@example.org>, if interested.
- Yevgenia Kozorovitskiy, Chair – Assistant Professor, Neurobiology, Evanston
- Jason Sanchez – Assistant Professor, Communication Sciences Disorders, Evanston
- Greg Schwartz – Assistant Professor, Ophthalmology/Physiology, Chicago
How do I know if I am considered a NUIN postdoc?
If the principal investigator of the laboratory you work in is affiliated with NUIN (Northwestern University Interdepartmental Neurosciences Program, as a member or preceptor, then you are considered a NUIN postdoc.
How do I get added to the NUIN postdoc listserv?
Please contact Chernise Bailey-Turner (email@example.com) to be added to the NUIN postdoc listserv.
Persons interested in finding a postdoc position in a NUIN lab are encouraged to contact individual faculty members.